Since my last update I've traveled outside the country for a few weeks (to India). After coming back and focusing on the day job for a while (mainly getting up to speed with more microservice principles), I decided to switch gears back to my main game.
I still intend to revisit the RPG/battle system idea I had one day since I think it could be a fun game, but for now I am trying to finish what I started again.
This time my focus is on creating a scene editor. So far outside of using Tiled for tile maps, I've been creating all scenes in code...which can get tedious. I just got comfortable with it and never thought about making an editor. Also in the beginning this started out as a Roguelite, which really didn't need any comprehensive editor to put scenes together since they would have been procedurally generated. But now I realized I will most likely never finish this game in its current form if I can't see how all scenes fit together.
So far I've designed the editor on paper (sometimes I need a break from the screen, so I still use paper for stuff!), and also implemented some of the basic classes. The editor will support the creation of Scenes, which can have Entities and Components added to it (The standard Nez ECS system). Scenes can be linked to other Scenes. Entities can have any number of components added to them, including tile maps, sprites, colliders, state machines, etc. The resulting collection of linked Scenes can then be output as a JSON file that the game can load.
I don't intend for this to be too fancy (I am not a UI designer in any way). It will just be a tool to use to visually put the game together...and then leave the non-world-building stuff to be written in code.
Hopefully I can keep up my motivation/momentum this time.