I Like Ham
kildorf last edited by
Anyone else a fan?
bengrue last edited by
Ham is delicious. But have you heard of Turkey?
While I do enjoy ham in a Secular Christmas dinner or pulled pork BBQ aspect, I find most pork products are rather salty. As such I’ve defaulted to chicken as my go to meat product in my “old” age.
choris last edited by
Ham: one of the best protein/cost ratios you can get, especially with
a large family (like mine). You can get two meals out of the meat itself, and then use the bones to make some excellent beans.
Here’s a recipe!
- Pinto beans (soaked overnight)
- Ham bone with meat left on that was too much of a pain to cut off
- All the other ham you had left over, diced up
- Yellow onion
- Diced Serrano or jalapeno pepper. Fresh or canned.
- Can of rotel (is this a Texas thing only?), or any canned diced tomatoes
- No salt. The ham will be salty enough.
- Two packets of Goya Sazon Culantro y Achiote. This is really the secret. You can find it (in Texas at least) in the Hispanic foods aisle. (Looks like this: https://www.target.com/p/goya-sazon-culantro-y-achiote-1-41-oz/-/A-14771559)
Put all that in a crock pot and let cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Fill with plain water; no broth is needed, the ham bone will make a nice broth. It’s wonderful.
I don’t really like ham.