Heh, I thought a few weeks was a bad delay for my last Gruedorf post, and here I am over 7 months later. Yet again the year started off crappy, due to getting laid off, then getting a job that ended up being far too stressful to maintain, and still on the job hunt now (though hopefully I will have good news on that front soon)! You would think with all that “free time” I would be able to get some good dev work done, but honestly I just wasn’t up for it. I did spend some time doing some online courses to help expand my dev skills and hopefully I will get picked up soon!
Fortunately in the past couple weeks I was able to start getting my mojo back. I started playing around in Unity, practicing making both 2D and 3D games. I was able to do it pretty quickly, and that brought my confidence and inspiration back. And so I started working on Final Eclipse again!
I actually had more updates since since my last Gruedorf post, namely adding in the smoothed movement that I had mentioned previously, adding an options menu to turn it on/off, and allowing for customizable controls. More recently, I added back in the air pressure system, so even the environment can kill you now if you open the wrong door unprepared! I also finally designed the outline of the ship the game takes place on. This will be the largest deck, which will give you a good idea of the scale of the game:
I designed it for 6 decks but messed up on the scaling for the height, so I might actually double this to 9 or 10 to better fit the scale I wanted, or I might just change the side profile to have fewer decks. With a scale of about 2x2 meters per tile, the ship is about 178 meters long, 142 meters wide, and 64 meters tall. It’s compared to the Enterprise here:
Finally, I added in a little hacking minigame, inspired by the bomb disposal levels of the Ultimate Stuntman on NES:
Essentially you need to make it from the start to the goal while getting rid of every tile, and each number represents how many times you must move through that tile to delete it. There are also obstacles such as arrows which force you to take a certain path. Shamelessy linking to a video on my Youtube channel here to see it in action. It is easy to create puzzles for this, and I want to add even more mechanics, such as tiles that add to surrounding numbered tiles when moved onto, to make them more challenging.
Next up, I want to work on the wireframe automap and start designing the interiors of the decks. It should be interesting to finally start fleshing out the actual content of the game, the critical path and what events/items need to be collected, etc. I have a lot of ideas that I need to make concrete. And of course I still have the save/load system to implement.
Fingers crossed my next update will not be so long in coming!