This week consisted of more small gains. Not all my posts will have screenshots, videos, or art. Those will come whenever I feel like there is something worthwhile to show.
I completed the animation sequences for exiting/entering the core. These were done through a series of tweens and coroutines(as opposed to animation frames) so that I could control the associated rotations and displacements with smooth precision.
After completing this, I've established a lot of what I consider to be the base of the game. The gameplay will combine being inside/outside the core in interesting ways.
I switched gears and went back to working on the outline of the game. This time I was focusing more on story and the various areas....while the initial outline focused on mechanics. With this (currently) solo project, I went the route of using an outline and Trello board instead of a detailed design doc and something sophisticated like Jira. Since I've already got the game direction in my head, the outline guides me along a path to the end while Trello gives me a list of immediate tasks for the week.
So far this setup has worked well, and it allowed me to make more meaningful progress, and somehow helped me stay motivated. I think before jumping deeper into programming again, the immediate future is going to be focused more on further expanding the outline, drawing more tiles, and designing/creating enemies.